Munich, Germany

Travelled with: FlixBus

Where I stayed: A&O Hostel

Duration of Trip: 2 days
Overall cost of trip: $200 CAD

Being so close to Germany, I figured it was finally time to pay the country a visit! On Thursday, May 26, my friend Sara and I travelled to Munich, Germany for the weekend. To be completely honest, the only thing I knew about Munich prior to this trip was that it held Oktoberfest. It is the biggest Oktoberfest in the world, and it brings in about 6 million people. Yeah- 6 MILLION tourists over 16 days to a city that only is populated at 1.5 million…Crazy.

You can read more about it here: http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/

Anyways. Munich is the capital and biggest city of Bavaria, Germany. Besides beer tents and festivals, Munich is also recognized for being a huge sports city. They hosted the 1972 Summer Olympics, and they are home to Germany’s most successful football team, Bayern Munich.

But, back to beer.

On Friday morning, we did a free tour of the city. I think these are the absolute best ways to see any city. No matter how big or small the place you are travelling to is, it’s pretty important to understand where you are travelling to and it’s interesting to learn too! It’s also a great way to meet other travellers who are in the same boat as you. The city tour was super long, which I didn’t expect. It took us in and out of the town and explained the significance of certain buildings, street signs, churches, et cetera.

 

 

 IMG_0302.jpgNew LinkedIn pic!

The one thing I noticed about Munich was how much it actually lacked locals. Usually when I’m in a huge city, I get lost in the language and I can observe the specific culture that I came to the country for. But it was so different in Munich. I think one of the reasons was that every place we ate or drink at was a huge tourist spot. We were told that at the beer halls, it is 90% tourists, and the other 10% belong to the people that work there.

We finally made our way to the Hofbrauhaus am Platzl, which is THE most famous beer hall in the world. It’s right in the middle of the city centre, which makes it perfect to locate for anyone new to the city. This place was HUGE, and it only the second biggest one in the city! We drake a litre of beer, because, when in Germany, do as the Germans would! I feel I’m using the excuse for a majority of the cities I go to…

We spent the day we had there walking in and around town, through the market, and the shops. There wasn’t a whole lot to see after the tour, but I’m glad I did it to learn the history. If I were to go back to Munich, I would want to go to a Bayern game. The atmosphere would be incredible! I wasn’t too impressed with the nightlife, as most bars closed pretty early on weeknights.

It was nice to finally Germany as it’s so close, but I think another city that is richer in culture and more to see would be more interesting!

 Until my next adventure,

Larissa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: